Saturday, April 18, 2009

We love it!

We’ve been here in Soroti, Uganda for just about a week now and we are really loving the town here and the ministry opportunities that are available here. I cant wait to get into the swing of things and have a consistent schedule. I’m going to focusing on two areas of service and ministry for the next two weeks.

The first area of ministry is working with a Mobile Clinic. Both Keith and I, along with a couple of our teammates, went out to one of these clinics last Wednesday. It was amazing! It was a UN official sort-of day. J We rode in the back of a pick-up for an incredibly bumpy hour-long ride on African “roads”. It was sooo much fun seeing the Ugandan country side from the back of a pick-up…such a fitting way to see a developing African country. We eventually arrived at a rural village where over 100 people were waiting under trees for the medicine that we were bringing. Out job for the next two hours was filling prescriptions for these Ugandan villagers who were suffering from all sorts of problems. The most common illness were: malaria, stomach problems, and HIV/AIDS. I think a lot of the stomach problems probably are a result of the sanitation problems that are pretty much inevitable in much of Africa. They just don’t have running water and don’t have money for soap and most don’t have toilet paper….so you can imagine the diseases that spread just because of a lack of simple things like that. Grandpa, you would’ve been so proud to see me filling prescriptions for these people. I took a picture for you of Pharmacist Lisa in the African bush. J Keith and I are going to do 3 more clinics like these within our two weeks left. I’m so excited. I hope to also bring a message from the Bible next time we go.

The other ministry that I’m going to be involved in is working at an Orphanage that works with babies and toddlers. These children have either: been abandoned by their extended family because they have HIV, their Mother died during child birth, or they have been mistreated by their parents or relatives and needed a safe haven. I will be working on a consistent basis with this Orphanage and I’m so excited to love on these beautiful babies. This Orphanage was started by a Dutch woman and so it’s very well run, tiddy, and precise. I love that things are organized. Haha I can’t stand working for ineffective organizations.

There are tons of mosquitoes here because we’re close to a swamp so please keep us in your prayers and pray specifically for good health…especially that we wouldn’t get malaria from these mosquitoes. God has been protecting us so much while being here, so I am confident that His hand is over us. That brings me an incredible amount of peace through all of the crazy situations that Keith and I are in.

I apologize for not having pictures to post…it’s hard to post them at an internet café with poor internet. J We’ll have LOTS to show you when we return of these places, people, and situations that we’re writing about.

God bless! Much Love from Uganda~
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa & Keith,
    We love hearing about what you're doing-it sounds wonderful. Please use your mousquito nets! ope to catch you on the phone soon.
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete